Thursday, January 7, 2010

Happy Birthday!


As I bid farewell to my twenty-seventh year I wonder what twenty-eight will bring.

It’s funny how life is always changing from moment to moment let alone year to year. But I believe people stay the same. Obviously our appearances change. We gain or lose weight, height, muscle mass, hair, good posture, and teeth. The way we express ourselves often changes. We learn or forget how to gather our thoughts and feelings down on the page, into music, through movement and on stage and in conversation. Our interests will change. We pick them up or toss them aside like stones. Some more precious than others. Human relationships inevitably change and can trick us into believing that we are somehow better or worse because we are accepted or rejected by, or date or are married to “so and so”. They are all leaves on a tree. Growing. Dying. Falling. Drying up.

But we are the same. I am the same person I have always been. You are the same person you have always been.

Thank God the entangled mass of choking vines of great expectations, insecurity, failure, fear, death -to name a few- do not and have never defined us! Our losses and our gains are but leaves. Withering grasses. Our greatest achievements are but dust. We are free from it all!

Now, to learn to simply be. Just be.

I hope that my 28th year is everything it is meant to be. Life abundant!

1 comment:

  1. All I can is that as the years add up, the years become shorter, and before you know it, retirement is just around the corner. Just as our memories of youth still seem fresh.

    Still, have your Happiest Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete