Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Small Talk

Hi, I’m new here. I gave up on my other blog about 5 months ago. I may only have written one entry, but it got awesome reviews.

So, one of the many resolutions I made for myself for 2009 is to give this another go.

With the world becoming more and more geared toward computer friendships rather than face to face meet ups for coffee and a friendly chat, I am hoping to make it easier for people to get inside my head by sharing my journey via blog. It has been my experience that the attention span of most people in social situations is shrinking fast these days. Not many stick around long enough to push through the surface conversation. Personally, I would rather skip the song and dance and cut to the chase.

You have to have ZING to keep someone’s attention. And that is why I named my blog, “My Own INCREDIBLE!!!!!! (echoooooo noises) Journey.” That’s the hook. If I could make it flash like Las Vegas, believe me I would.

Not really.

I am very bad at small talk. That’s why I don’t usually participate if it lasts for too long. I can only bullshit for about 30 seconds and then I check out…especially if it’s the same bullshit over and over again. BLAAAH. BLA. BLA.

There is this one woman who liked to introduce herself to us and ask us our names every single Sunday. The conversation would go as follows, word for word:

“Hi there, I’m ------------ .  Are you new here?”

“Not really.”

“Oh. Well, welcome. What are your names?”

“I’m Jamie.”

“I’m Erik. Nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you too Jamie and Aaron. I have to go. Bye!”

We’ve been attending this very small community for about 2 years!  She must have finally got it because she stopped asking a couple of months ago. Good for her. Ha! Oh man…

And that is why I dislike small talk. So much of it is totally stupid.

Erik, my wonderful and thoughtful husband, even got me a ‘How to’ book to build up my small talk skills for my 26th birthday…as a joke of course. We share the same dislike for the stuff. I laughed for hours when I opened that one.

I know I probably lost most of you by now. You might be texting someone or staring at a spot on your wall, or picking your nose. I should really invest in some Las Vegas flashy flash. Or maybe somehow sneak some methylphenidate into your PB&J.

More to come! I know you just can’t wait!

7 comments:

  1. Brilliant, Love.

    Keep up the good work.

    The world waits for more...they just might not know it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like your writing. Very Salengeresque in female tones
    thanks for the congrats, the whole married process is kind of freaky to me... but exciting... but freaky. because mostly i wonder, "is this happening to me?" very surreal...
    so i am writing my own rules and feeling my own feelings. it's nice.

    hope you & erik are well.

    ps. i thought it kind of funny, (perhaps innapropriate i wonder?) that we're going to jungle-clad central america on our honeymoon for a treehouse venture. i'll let you know if i run into the cahills

    jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen. Just remember which village to skip over...especially since they have your fake passport number. :) Are you guys going back to the hippie hostel where we stayed??? That would be AWESOME! Probably one of the most magical places I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I LOVED everything about that hostel. We're staying in a tree house in Costa Rica pretty similar actually... except it's an upgraded version... I don't think we'll be worrying about bugs crawling in our hair.

    Maybe I should knock on wood, because, after all, you never really know until you get there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, here in Pasadena we use the computer both for developing WWW friendships & old fashioned flesh & blood friendships, say, at a Cafe!

    A supersized combo.

    A good start with your new Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. JEH/D: who am I?? Where do I begin, then end? Just say I'm a dog who likes to ck out restaurants. More boring info can be found at my website.

    Keep up the blogging. Just remember: Blogging is a contact sport. So many start, then give up. I think you have something to say - so use it!

    ReplyDelete