Sunday, May 24, 2009

Familiarity






Our reunions have a way of clearing out the dust that can sometimes accumulate on my spirit. I sometimes forget how much of ME has been born out of these priceless relationships. But then of course I am reminded on the rare occasion where all of us are able to return "home" for an afternoon or even an hour. A familiar voice. A familiar place. A familiar feeling of peace and of being accepted and embraced just as I am.

Yesterday, we celebrated Lacee's engagement with an afternoon of trying on wedding dresses and recovering with lunch. We found ourselves sitting on the same couch in the same shop where 3 of us purchased our wedding dresses. So it has become a sweet and sentimental tradition. As I sat there watching Lacee staring at herself as a "bride" for the first time I was overwhelmed. Jenae was the first to stand in front of that giant mirror. Lacee cried when she came out. Then it was Dani. And not too long ago it was I who stood there excited and nervous (not to mention completely disgusted by how expensive an article of clothing could be!) My mind was suddenly flooded by vivid memories

I have known all of them since 1st grade or so. Our little souls were introduced to each other through interwoven experiences of a church children's choir, soccer, and Mrs. Finkbinder's 1st grade class. But it wasn't until Jr. high that we became "the four of us."

In February of 8th grade, my dad committed suicide. His death was a sort of line in the sand if you will. Some friends seemed to back away slowly...unsure of how to be my friend through such an intense and unusual loss. Suicide is a dirty reality check, especially to kids. You can't really blame people for being afraid.

But these were the three that stepped over the line and saw me through the hardest time in my life.

I think trials are the super-glue in friendships. Laughter takes a close second place. Very close. But trials take the cake. You can connect through laughter but when you have been to hell and back with someone the roots go down deep. And the reality is, if your friends haven't seen you cry and shake your fist at the heavens, they haven't seen you. At least the whole you.

It's true. People change. WE have changed quite a bit as individuals and are walking our own paths and staying true to our own convictions about life and love and happiness. And though we may not understand each others ways, we most certainly try to. And trying is what really counts when it comes to making friendships last.

Words can't express how grateful I am to have shared so many years of friendship with these incredible human beings. They hold up a mirror that many times show me who I really am when life has tried to turn me into something else. And they encourage me with their own unique strength and beauty to live life to the fullest and with a fantastic sense of humor.

Thanks girls. I love you to pieces.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing and sharing your appreciation of the truly finer things in life with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you J. This means so much... I am so blessed by you. Great pictures, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 day you're kids in school. Next y'all are married with children. Day 3 your kids are off to school or getting married. Next, wondering if retirement is an option. Through it all it's the relationships which bind.
    Thank God for tribulations & trials. A pinch of hot spice in this life. And a catalyst for a transformed life.
    Keep on the fine blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful thing to have friends for so long - you girls are very blessed. Congrats to Lacee!

    ReplyDelete