Sunday, May 17, 2009

Back in time?


As I said before, Erik and I have been getting to know our new neighborhood. We were explorers this weekend, walking the streets and popping our heads into new doors including one of a great salvadorean place called La Caravana. The food was delicious! The handmade pupusas were fantastic and brought back fond memories of our visit to Guatemala last summer. I am easily thrown back in time by familiar tastes and smells.

Earlier this evening we made our way up to The Coffee Gallery Backstage hoping to see Janet Klein and the Parlor boys' perform. It turned out that the show started an hour earlier than I had thought AND tickets were twenty bucks a pop...twenty dollars more than we had bargained for. Oh well. I'm not a die hard fan, but she is an interesting character and I enjoy that old jazz kind of sound. She and the band came out to the front of the shop during what I am guessing was the intermission. They walked by and for a split second I had forgotten what time era we were in. If you look her up you'll understand what I mean.

Though we missed the show, we stayed to enjoy a couple of drinks people watched. The shop is great...nice people, lots of space, good drinks and interesting art. AND they serve breakfast (my favorite meal of the day)! They have a bookshelf that hold lots of books you can exchange for. Bring in one you don't really want anymore and you can take your pick! I suspect this place will be my new home away from home.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you're finding some new hang outs :) that's pretty close to our old diggs!

    ... are you playing any shows soon?? You should, its been a long time!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I walk by your old street everyday on my way to work. Look for me out your window at work around 12:07. I'll wave as I pass by. :)

    No shows scheduled right now but I will let you know.

    I made that carrot salad again...it's goooooooooood stuff! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The name La Caravana sounds familiar. Is it in Alta or Pasa Dena?
    What's good to eat at this joint?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's just below Washington on the east side of Lake Ave. We've only been there one time but everything we had was great. Pupusas, chicken soup, rice, veggies, horchata...

    It's pretty limited for those who don't eat meat or cheese. Just about everything comes with cheese. I asked that my bean and cheese pupusa be made without cheese and our server looked at me and said, "Are you sure??? (with a very confused/why the hell are you so boring? expression on her face)

    but alas...it hit the spot and I will go back for the ever-so "boring" bean pupusa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks 4 de recommend.
    I'm w/you re cheeze. Outside of cheeze on pizza, I don't even think cheeze on hamburgers is right! You sound like a vegetarian - here's a recommend for you: try de new My Vegan on Arroyo Pkway.

    ReplyDelete